Tuesday, May 27, 2008

There's Clarity in them thar hills!

It's my last full day here in England, and I'm not sure how I feel exactly. I accomplished everything I wanted to get out of this vacation and more, so I'm not disappointed in the least. I guess I'm a little excited to get home, sort out my house now that construction is finished, see my puppy. and get back to my "real life," but there's a part of me that's already planning my next trip.

I suppose it's natural, though it does feel like I'm being a bit escapist. It's not that I don't want to return to work, or Los Angeles, or anything like that, no, it's more like I just don't want to have to think about all of those little annoying things that come with everyday living. It's not possible, outside of eschewing material possessions and relegating myself to a nomadic life, I know, but it's nice to dream.

It always gets like this for me at the end of a vacation, though. Muddled thoughts and feelings, my mind trying desperately to cling to the insights gained from the time spent away from all the bullshit, the regulated minutiae of my other life- my non-traveling one- slowly creeping back to pester me like a persistent cold...

I think indifference is a state of being for me that comes most often during an overcast day. When I arrived here in England it was rainy and gray, and here as I'm preparing to leave it isn't all that different. I've been fortunate, though, being the child of climate that I am, that Paris and Brussels were brighter on the whole, if not the weather, the people surely.

But it's been good. No doubt, this has been an amazing journey. I have many memories, and pictures to boot. I have grown tremendously, and happily so. I realized and reclaimed something on this trip that I used to have when I was younger, and had been very troubled to have lost: an unapologetic sense of self. I know who I am right now, and I don't care who likes it or not. I am going to be me, crazy or sad, manic or pensive, I will be who and what I feel in the moment I feel it. It doesn't matter if it's contradictory, it's true.

As long as I'm happy, it's good. Yea, it's good. ^_^

No comments: